Hawthorne in Salem Search Hawthorne in Salem
  Previous page
Watercolor Painting of the Jonathan Corwin House, 310 1/2 Essex St. at North St., Salem, by Samuel Bartoll, 1819

The Jonathan Corwin house was built around 1670. Corwin was a Salem merchant who purchased the house from Nathaniel Davenport of Boston in 1675 and was living here in 1692. There is a tradition that some of the accused "witches" of the Salem hysteria were examined in the lower front room on the right.
(courtesy of Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA)
citation: http://www.hawthorneinsalem.org/images/image.php?name=MMD805