Juniper Point is Salem's oldest residential area on Salem Neck. When Hawthorne took his walks to Juniper Point, there were no houses, but there were fortifications. Fort Lee, which probably was first used between 1690-1694 as a gun platform, was used to defend Salem Harbor in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.
In the 1850s and 1860s, Juniper Point was the site of tents for recreation. In the 1870s cottages were built, creating a summer resort community. Today, this is a year-round residential part of Salem.