Hawthorne in Salem Search Hawthorne in Salem
  Previous page
Drawing of the Philip English House in Salem

Built in 1683 at the head of what is now English St., not far from Collins Cove, this house of many gables was thought by some to be the location of the one described in Hawthorne's novel, The House of the Seven Gables. Called "The Great House," it was considered the most lavish home in Salem of that time. Philip and his wife, Mary, lived here in 1692 when they were accused of witchcraft. Initially imprisoned in the Cart and Wheel Inn in Salem, they were moved to Boston in June and placed under house arrest after the intervention of friends. Allowed their freedom during the day in Boston because of their upper-class status, they fled on a ship to New York in August before their trial in Salem. A secret garret room that was discovered when the house was razed may have been built after Philip and Mary returned to Salem as a hiding place should it ever be needed.
(courtesy of Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA)
citation: http://www.hawthorneinsalem.org/images/image.php?name=MMD1717