Hawthorne in Salem Search Hawthorne in Salem
  Previous page
The Downing Block, 173-175-177 Essex St. Mall (1858)

This Italian Revival building was constructed in 1858 for the Downing brothers, dry-goods merchants. The building was restored in 1973-4 and is considered the finest example of a building of its period and type in Salem.
(courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum; special thanks to Bryant F. Tolles, Jr.)
citation: http://www.hawthorneinsalem.org/images/image.php?name=MMD1314