Hawthorne in Salem Search Hawthorne in Salem
  Previous page
Hooper-Hathaway House, Grounds of the House of the Seven Gables Historic Site, 54 Turner St. (special thanks to Bryant F. Tolles, Jr.)

Originally at 23 Washington St., this 17th century house was built for Benjamin Hooper as a single room and expanded in 1784. The Hooper family sold the property in 1795, and the property was sold again c. 1864 to the Hathaways who used it for their bakery business. Caroline O. Emmerton purchased the house in 1911 to save it from being razed and moved it to its current location on the grounds of the House of the Seven Gables.
(courtesy of Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA)
citation: http://www.hawthorneinsalem.org/images/image.php?name=MMD1296