Hawthorne in Salem Search Hawthorne in Salem
  Previous page
John Tucker Daland house, the east portion of the former Essex Institute

The John Tucker Daland house was built in 1851/2 for a wealthy Salem merchant. Daland and his family lived in the house until 1885 when the Essex Institute purchased the house. When Plummer Hall (erected in 1856-7)was also purchased by the Essex Institute in 1906, the Daland house was attached to it by a Renaissance Revival section.
(courtesy of Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA)
citation: http://www.hawthorneinsalem.org/images/image.php?name=MMD1290