Hawthorne in Salem Search Hawthorne in Salem
  Previous page
Manning Cottage at 26 Dearborn St., Salem

Robert Manning, built this Dutch style house with a gambrel roof and flared eaves, for his sister, Nathanielís mother, and her children in 1828. It was located next door to the Manning House on the site of the former Frank E. Locke house when Hawthorne lived there with his mother and sisters from 1828 to 1832. It was moved across the street in 1851 or 1852 by George Brown, the owner of the house at that time. The original ell from the house is still standing, however, and is part of the house now located at 31 Dearborn St.
(courtesy of Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA)
citation: http://www.hawthorneinsalem.org/images/image.php?name=MMD1288