Hawthorne in Salem Search Hawthorne in Salem
  Previous page
Pickering House, 18 Broad St. at Pickering St.

Built around 1651, this is Salem's oldest building and was continuously occupied by the Pickering family from 1651 until the late 20th century. The wooden structure was intially built with two rooms in two stories, but later was expanded to double this size, and changes were made in the mid-nineteenth century which reflect the Gothic Revival Style such as the Gothic cut-out fence with finial-capped posts which was constructed in 1841. On July 4, 1804, the day of Hawthorne's birth, John Pickering, the son of Timothy Pickering, gave the Independence Day oration at St. Peter's Church.
(courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum; special thanks to Bryant F. Tolles, Jr.)
citation: http://www.hawthorneinsalem.org/images/image.php?name=MMD1284