Hawthorne in Salem Search Hawthorne in Salem
  Previous page
South Church, (originally at Chestnut and Cambridge Sts.; destroyed by fire in 1903)

Designed by Samuel McIntire (1757-1811), South Church was established in 1775, and this building was built in 1803-4. It was destroyed by fire in 1903. In 1924, it merged with Tabernacle Church. This photograph was taken c. 1890 and is in the collection of the Peabody Essex Museum.
(courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum; special thanks to Bryant F. Tolles, Jr.)
citation: http://www.hawthorneinsalem.org/images/image.php?name=MMD1281