Hawthorne in Salem Search Hawthorne in Salem
  Previous page
Pickman-Derby Block, 213-215 Essex St. Mall, 1 and 7 Derby Square, Salem

This row of attached brick commercial buildings was constructed in 1817 as the beginning of the development of Derby Square when the merchants Benjamin Pickman, Jr. and John Derby, III purchased the mansion of Elias Hasket Derby and surrounding land. In the mid-1970s, the buildings were restored, and the arches and fanlights originally on the first floor doors and windows were restored.
(courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum; special thanks to Bryant F. Tolles, Jr.)
citation: http://www.hawthorneinsalem.org/images/image.php?name=MMD1266