Hawthorne in Salem Search Hawthorne in Salem
  Previous page
John Ward House, Brown St. opposite Howard, (originally at 38 St. Peter St.) built after 1684

This is one of the best examples of 17th century wood-frame-and-and clapboard houses in New England. In December 1684 John Ward, a currier, purchased the land at 38 St. Peter St. and had a one-room-plan house with steep-pitched roof and overhang constructed. After his death in 1732, the house was enlarged. In 1910 the Essex Institute purchased the house, restored it, and moved it to its present location on Brown St. The house is open to visitors and offers a glimpse into life in 17th-century New England.
citation: http://www.hawthorneinsalem.org/images/image.php?name=MMD1253