View of the Manning House, now in South Casco, built about 1810 in what was then Raymondtown, MA, but which became Casco, Maine, when Maine separated from Massachusetts in 1820 and Casco separated from Raymond town in 1841.

Richard Manning was local agent from the Raymond town Proprietors and was also the town blacksmith. According to Knight, in Manning's work as local agent and "through the acquisition of lands of proprietors in arrears on their assessments [Manning] owned a high percentage of the land of the town" (20). Knight notes that "the division line between Raymond and Casco is the Dingley Brook to the left of the house" (20).
(courtesy of Raymond Woman's Club,Cardinal Publishing.) close window
citation: http://www.hawthorneinsalem.org/images/fullpageimage.php?name=MMD968