|Watercolor Painting of the Jonathan Corwin House, 310 1/2 Essex St. at North St., Salem, by Samuel Bartoll, 1819|
The Jonathan Corwin house was built around 1670. Corwin was a Salem merchant who purchased the house from Nathaniel Davenport of Boston in 1675 and was living here in 1692. There is a tradition that some of the accused "witches" of the Salem hysteria were examined in the lower front room on the right.
|(courtesy of Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA)||close window|