|Bowdoin College Campus, ca. 1823, by John G. Brown Oil on canvas; 30 1/8 in. x 37 1/8 in. (76.52 cm x 94.3 cm)|
With a northward view, this print reproduced from an original painting in the Bowdoin College Museum of Art shows the Bowdoin campus as it appeared during Hawthorne's student days. The gentleman in the foreground wheeling his barrow is "Uncle" Tench, who supplied several generations of Bowdoin students with gingerbread and ginger beer. He also provided Hawthorne with a model for his Uncle Venner in The House of the Seven Gables. From left to right: Massachusetts Hall, with its original cupola; Winthrop Hall (then known as New College); the original wooden chapel/library; and Maine Hall, where Hawthorne lived during his sophomore year. all text copyright Bowdoin College, 2009.
|(courtesy of Bowdoin College Museum of Art, Brunswick, Maine Gift of Harold L. Berry, Class of 1901)||close window|