Cephas Thompson oil portrait of Nathaniel Hawthorne

This painting, completed in May of 1850, two months after the publication of The Scarlet Letter, hangs in the Grolier Club in NYC, a gift from Stephen Wakeman to the Club in 1913. According to Rita Gollin, "engravers copied [this painting] almost immediately: three came out within a year and others soon followed. They would be the first Hawthorne portraits ever published" (30-31). Gollin also notes that Hawthorne's publisher, Ticknor, purchased the painting and gave it to Hawthorne and his bride to hang in the Old Manse in Concord. It was, Gollin explains, "the only oil portrait of himself that Hawthorne ever owned" (31). Image from Portraits of Nathaniel Hawthorne: An Iconography by Rita Gollin, p.30
(courtesy of Northern Illinois UP) close window
citation: http://www.hawthorneinsalem.org/images/fullpageimage.php?name=MMD1853