|The Marston House, Salem|
Sidney Perley tells us that "in 1680, Benjamin Marston built a fine large house on the western corner of Essex and Cambridge streets; and, Feb. 24, 1701-2, for two hundred and ninety pounds, conveyed it with the land to James Menzies, who had recently moved from Boston to Salem. Through a mortgage, the estate became the property of Philip English. John Touzell lived in the house in 1754, when he conveyed one-half of it to William Hathorne and wife Mary and widow Susannah Hathorne. It remained in the families of English some time, and, when it belonged to the Hathornes, about 1814, they built the house out to the Essex Street line. The engraving shows the end of the original house and the new front."
|(courtesy of Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA)||close window|