|Essex County Courthouses, 32-36-42 Federal St. (1839-41; 1861-62; 1887-89; 1908-09; 1979-81)|
The granite building at the corner of Washington and Federal was constructed in 1839-41 by architect Richard Bond (1797-1861), also the architect of Salem City Hall in 1836-7, and is an excellent example of Greek Revival-style civic architecture. The large brick and brownstone courthouse building was constructed in 1861-62 in Italian Revival-style but remodeled considerably in 1887-1889. In 1908-09, another courthouse building was erected to house the registry of deeds, the probate court, and administrative offices. This granite structure, with its six-column Greek Ionic portico, is a superb example of Neoclassical Revival architecture.
|(courtesy of Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA)||close window|