|Salem Jail (County of Essex), 50 St. Peter St. and Bridge (1811; 1884-5)and Jailer's (Sheriff's House), 48 St. Peter St.|
Up until 1991 this was still a functioning jail. The first section of the building was erected in 1811-1913 and replaced an older jail nearby. The jail was enlarged and updated in 1884-1885. The two octagonal cupolas were added at this time. The jail is now owned by the city and is being considered for a variety of possible commercial uses.
|(courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum; special thanks to Bryant F. Tolles, Jr.)||close window|