|Richard Derby House (Derby-Ward House), 27 Herbert St., coirner of Derby and Herbert Streets, Salem|
Elias H. Derby (1739-1799), a prosperous merchant of the eighteenth century, grew up in this house built in 1738 for his father, Richard, a successful sea captain and ship owner. The Wards purchased this house from the Derbys after the Revolutionary War and occupied the house well into the nineteenth century, but ownership after that is uncertain. In the Custom House chapter of The Scarlet Letter Hawthorne refers to E.H. Derby as "King Derby."
|(courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum; special thanks to Bryant F. Tolles, Jr.)||close window|