First Baptist Church, 56 Federal St.

This church was erected in 1805-6. In 1850 it was expanded, and its exterior was rebuilt in an Italianate style in 1850. It originally featured a three-stage Federal tower and octagonal dome, but this was removed in 1926 because of the cost of renovations undertaken at that time
(courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum; special thanks to Bryant F. Tolles, Jr.) close window
citation: http://www.hawthorneinsalem.org/images/fullpageimage.php?name=MMD1275