|Old Custom House, called The Central Building in Hawthorne's time, 4-10 Central Street and Essex Street Mall|
This was originally built in 1805 for William S. Gray and Benjamin H. Hathorne for stores. Benjamin Hathorne was the son of Colonel John Hathorne, Nathaniel's father's first cousin. From 1805-07, the U.S. Custom Service had offices in this building and again in 1813-19. The arched windows on the first floor were added druing the restoration of the building during Salem's urban renewal in 1975-76.
|(courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum; special thanks to Bryant F. Tolles, Jr.)||close window|