|Bowker (Manning) Block, 144-156 Essex St. Mall at Liberty St.|
Built around 1830, this fine example of early nineteenth-century commercial architecture, resembles earlier Federal-style buildings with its tall chimneys, rectangular form, and granite sills and lintels. Originally operated as the Sun Tavern, the owner, William Manning, turned the building into the Bowker Block in 1830; today part of the building houses offices of the Peabody Essex Museum.
|(courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum; special thanks to Bryant F. Tolles, Jr.)||close window|