|Portrait of Governor John Endecott (1588?-1665)|
In 1628 John Endecott came to Naumkeag with a patent for land and a group of about 60 settlers. They joined Roger Conant and "the Old Planters" (members of the failed Cape Ann settlement of 1624), who had established a settlement in 1626, along a sheltered cove facing what are now the North and Danvers Rivers in Salem. Endecott governed the colony until he was replaced by John Winthrop in 1630. This portrait was painted a few months before Endecott's death in 1665.
|(courtesy of Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA)||close window|