The Salem Observer
Saturday Morning, June 8, 1833.
St. Peter's Church. In digging for to
place the foundation of the new Episcopal Church, in this town, this week,
the remains of many of the old worshipers of St.
Peter's were disturbed: -- Among them, was the remains of Jonathan
Pue, Esq., "His Majesty's Inspector and Informer," who died in the year
1760, seventy-three years since. His wig was in a good state of preservation
and his worsted sash was not entirely decayed; three silver buttons were
also found in his grave. An elderly lady (now deceased) of our acquaintance,
informed us, she remembered this ancient royalist officer and that she
had seen him frequently in his seat at Church, and instead of a box to
carry his rappee, he had a pocket of leather, which would probably hold
Sixty or seventy years ago about 20 feet was added to the length of the church, and directly under that part a brick grave was found, built in a very substantial and workmanlike manner, plastered and with a wall 8 inches thick. Nothing was found by which a discovery could be made who the occupant was. It had been thought by some it might be Phillip English--it is certain it was a person of some note, as six silver plated coffin handles were found in the grave, and some fragments of an ornamented plate; the bones were quite large, and must have belonged to a large man.
Page citation: http://www.hawthorneinsalem.org/page/11994/