The Scarlet Letter > Essex Historical Society
The Essex Historical Society and the Essex County Natural History Society were joined in 1848 to form the Essex Institute which collected publications, historical objects, and artifacts relating to Essex County. In 1992 the Essex Institute and the Peabody Museum (founded in 1799 as the East India Marine Society and which today houses the most important collection of artifacts and documents related to maritime trade in Salem) merged to become the Peabody Essex Museum as it is known today. The James Duncan Phillips Library of the Peabody Essex Museum contains the largest collection of Hawthorne material in the world.
Essex Institute on Columbus Day, 1892. Courtesy of the Peabody Essex