The Salem Observer


Salem


Saturday Morning, June 8, 1833.


St. Peter's Church. In digging for to place the foundation of the new Episcopal Church, in this town, this week, the remains of many of the old worshipers of St. Peter's were disturbed: -- Among them, was the remains of Jonathan Pue, Esq., "His Majesty's Inspector and Informer," who died in the year 1760, seventy-three years since. His wig was in a good state of preservation and his worsted sash was not entirely decayed; three silver buttons were also found in his grave. An elderly lady (now deceased) of our acquaintance, informed us, she remembered this ancient royalist officer and that she had seen him frequently in his seat at Church, and instead of a box to carry his rappee, he had a pocket of leather, which would probably hold a pound.

Sixty or seventy years ago about 20 feet was added to the length of the church, and directly under that part a brick grave was found, built in a very substantial and workmanlike manner, plastered and with a wall 8 inches thick. Nothing was found by which a discovery could be made who the occupant was. It had been thought by some it might be Phillip English--it is certain it was a person of some note, as six silver plated coffin handles were found in the grave, and some fragments of an ornamented plate; the bones were quite large, and must have belonged to a large man.