Learning Activities Related to Hawthorne and Women for "Rappaccini's Daughter"
Explore Activities Related to "Lady Eleanore's Mantle"
Excerpts are from the story
"Lady Eleanore's Mantle"
(from Twice Told Tales, Volume 2, 1851)
First, look up the symptoms and history of smallpox:
- Where does it break out?
- What are its effects?
- How does it spread?
Next, apply that to the story, "Lady Eleanore's Mantle":
- In your opinion, after studying about smallpox, does Lady Eleanore appear
to have symptoms of the disease?
- How is it affecting the people of the city? Why were the citizens so fearful
of this disease?
- How many would have become sick?
Learn about the outbreak of smallpox in 1721 by visiting the following web sites:
- Were you vaccinated? Find at least 3 people who were (hint: check with your
parents). Were they re-vaccinated to travel outside the United States?
- Does smallpox still occur today?
- List several of the current questions surrounding smallpox and outline the
current vaccination program.
- How might an author today use smallpox in a story?
Page citation: http://www.hawthorneinsalem.org/page/11810/