Hawthorne in Salem Search Hawthorne in Salem





Facebook Page
[Home]  

Images of Commercial Buildings in Salem

Images of Commercial Buildings in Salem

Town House Square, Salem, c. late 19th or early 20th century
Town House Square, Salem, c. late 19th or early 20th century
 
Brown Building (Union Building), corner of Essex and Union St. in Salem
Brown Building (Union Building), corner of Essex and Union St. in Salem
Sophia Peabody's family moved into an apartment in this building in 1810, a year after Sophia was born. Herbert St., where Hawthorne was living with his mother's family at the time, is one street over, and Sophia recalled watching Hawthorne as a boy playing in the yard behind the house. (courtesy of Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA)
Bowker (Manning) Block, 144-156 Essex St. Mall at Liberty St.
Bowker (Manning) Block, 144-156 Essex St. Mall at Liberty St.
Built around 1830, this fine example of early nineteenth-century commercial architecture, resembles earlier Federal-style buildings with its tall chimneys, rectangular form, and granite sills and lintels. Originally operated as the Sun Tavern, the owner, William Manning, turned the building into the Bowker Block in 1830; today part of the building houses offices of the Peabody Essex Museum. (courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum; special thanks to Bryant F. Tolles, Jr.)
The Downing Block, 173-175-177 Essex St. Mall (1858)
The Downing Block, 173-175-177 Essex St. Mall (1858)
This Italian Revival building was constructed in 1858 for the Downing brothers, dry-goods merchants. The building was restored in 1973-4 and is considered the finest example of a building of its period and type in Salem. (courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum; special thanks to Bryant F. Tolles, Jr.)
Essex Bank Building, 11 Central St., (1811)
Essex Bank Building, 11 Central St., (1811)
 
Peabody Building, 120-128 Washington St. (1891-92)
Peabody Building, 120-128 Washington St. (1891-92)
 
Lawrence Place, 133 and 137 Washington St; 34 Front St. (1808-9); c. 1817; c. 1825
Lawrence Place, 133 and 137 Washington St; 34 Front St. (1808-9); c. 1817; c. 1825
 
FALSE MMD ID

 

Hawthorne Inn 
FALSE MMD ID

 
Pickman-Derby Block, 213-215 Essex St. Mall, 1 and 7 Derby Square,  Salem
Pickman-Derby Block, 213-215 Essex St. Mall, 1 and 7 Derby Square, Salem
This row of attached brick commercial buildings was constructed in 1817 as the beginning of the development of Derby Square when the merchants Benjamin Pickman, Jr. and John Derby, III purchased the mansion of Elias Hasket Derby and surrounding land. In the mid-1970s, the buildings were restored, and the arches and fanlights originally on the first floor doors and windows were restored. (courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum; special thanks to Bryant F. Tolles, Jr.)
Pickering Wharf
Pickering Wharf
 

Naumkeag Steam Cotton Company complex (courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum; special thanks to Bryant F. Tolles, Jr.)